Join Us And
Make a Difference
Donor Engagement Team Lead
At the University Hospital Foundation, we want to help people live longer, and better – especially those who would benefit from a new form of treatment, or life-saving surgery.
As agents of hope, we boldly seek solutions to seemingly insurmountable challenges, matching the determination and purpose-driven intensity of the healthcare teams we support.
In the past ten years, generous donations from individuals and our corporate and strategic partners have contributed nearly $220 million dollars to advance world-leading patient care at the University of Alberta Hospital, Mazankowski Alberta Heart Institute and Kaye Edmonton Clinic, as well as ground-breaking research at the University of Alberta.
If you have a keen interest in being a part of the future of healthcare in Alberta, please consider applying today!
We are proud to have achieved Imagine Canada accreditation and High Performer status in both the “High Performer: Overall” and “High Performer: Teaching Hospital” categories from the Association for Healthcare Philanthropy. This recognition demonstrates our commitment to applying our purpose to everything we do.
In addition, we are proud to be one of Alberta’s Top 75 Employers in 2021 and 2022, which recognizes employers who lead their industry in offering exceptional places to work and forward-thinking HR practices.
As an outcome-focused organization, UHF offers a flexible work environment where employees have the opportunity to work remotely.
Reporting to the Director, Experience & Signature Events, the you will collaborates with all departments of the University Hospital Foundation (the UHF) and represents UHF to the general public.
Your role will be to liaises with and support the implementation of our volunteer strategy and play a key role in the successful execution of the UHF’s signature events such as Festival of Trees, Full House Lottery, Heart Pledge Day and other recognition events.
- Lead the team’s effort to develop stewardship plans for donors at various recognition levels within the annual gift, major gift, planned giving and strategic partnership programs
- Collaborate with Foundation staff to follow acknowledgement and recognition procedures for gifts that are consistent across audiences. Also identify and develop recognition opportunities in collaboration with the fundraising team
- Oversee reporting to donors in a timely, consistent and accurate manner on the use, impact, and financial management of their gifts
- Create and manage a system for reporting and engagement that includes: impact reports, thank you notes, recognition events, cheque presentations, update of donors walls and signage, etc.
- Create and maintain overall plan for stewardship policies and procedures: donor acknowledgement letters for all types of gifts; coordinate with fundraising operations and fundraising colleagues to ensure coordination on gift receipts, acknowledgement letters and other recognition
- Conduct an annual audit of all stewardship/donor recognition tools for the Foundation and identify and implement changes as required
- Identify best practices at other organizations for donor engagement planning and operation and implement changes that may result from best practices research
- Oversees and manages all approvals for naming opportunities and the logistics for the installation process of plaques and signage
- Work in collaboration with the Experience & Signature Events team to develop the annual strategy for donor cultivation and stewardship/recognition events and ensure they are executed according to the strategy and plan
- Partner with fundraising leadership to develop and implement customized stewardship plans and donor recognition strategies
- Develop stewardship materials and tools to improve stewardship of Foundation supporters and as needed, collaborate with the Marketing and Communications department
- Serve as the leader of the Donor Engagement team, providing management of the day-to-day operations, conduct performance evaluations, and mentor, coach and manage the professional development of team members
- Hire, train, and supervise staff as appropriate by being versed in all aspects of the program and the work of gift agreements, acknowledgements, stewardship reports, recognition, donor communications, and events
- Provide the framework for, and oversight to, staff goal setting and benchmarking for their respective program areas
- Ensure that direct reports are executing their work plans and contributing to the organization meeting its goals
- Work across all departments to establish and implement a framework for engagement of donors, and sponsors
- Oversee day-to-day operations supporting donor relations functions
- Provide strategic direction relating to donor engagement into the development and implementation of a comprehensive operational plan and budget for the Foundation and evaluate donor engagement priorities to ensure success
- Development and monitoring of department KPI’s including evaluating donor engagement priorities to ensure alignment with strategic plan
- Facilitate contracts and agreements relating to donor engagement activities/projects with external vendors
- Bachelor’s degree or diploma in Communications, Public Relations, Library Studies, Business Administration, or other related field is required
- Minimum two (3) years’ related experience in donor, sponsor, client engagement or equivalent client-focused environment
- Professional experience with creating strong written communications including letters, impact reports, briefing notes, proposals, etc.
- Minimum two (2) years’ experience leading and inspiring a team
- Experience in managing or implementing a donor relations program including stewardship and recognition that strengthen long-term relationships with donors, sponsors and volunteers is an asset
- Previous experience and familiarity with Raiser’s Edge or equivalent donor database management systems and Microsoft Office suite is an asset
- Demonstrated experience working with all levels of an organization to engage donors, sponsors and volunteers
- Ability to prioritize duties, follow an organized process and bring projects to completion, reaching goals on deadline, provide consistent and reliable follow through
- Working knowledge of planning and the execution of events as an asset
- Knowledge of the University of Alberta Hospital site is considered an asset
- Association of Fundraising Professionals or Association of Healthcare Philanthropy membership is an asset
- Strong organizational and planning skills with the ability to initiate, collaborate, implement and advance activities that support Foundation priorities and contribute to the overall goals and objectives of the Development teams
- Ability to absorb large volumes of sometimes highly technical material and translate it for staff and donors
- Actively seeks opportunities and challenges for personal learning, character building and growth
- Measures and evaluates outcomes – holds self and others accountable for results achieved against benchmarks and corrects course as appropriate
- Proficient computer skills and working knowledge of appropriate software applications such as Raiser’s Edge. Ability to generate reports and queries is an asset
- Ability to lead staff and projects as well as act as an advisor and facilitator and function as part of an integrated fundraising team
- Staff and budget management experience is essential
- Demonstrates an outgoing, positive, group-win approach and a willingness to learn, teach and share
- Facilitates an environment of collaboration and cooperation to achieve results
- Scans the environment for ideas, best practices and emerging trends
- Knowledge of research methodologies and techniques
- Ability to communicate in a concise, professional and persuasive manner, both orally, in writing and via public presentations
- Successfully manages multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrates professionally maturity, resourcefulness and self-discipline in engaging in the pursuit of the Foundation’s goals
- Displays an ability to focus on the big picture without losing sight of the details in cooperation with the staff team and volunteers
- Develops and maintains cooperative, successful working relationships with staff, donors and volunteers through exceptional influencing, tact and diplomacy skills
- Thinks analytically and conceptually – questions and challenges the status quo to identify issues, solve problems and design and implement effective processes across systems and stakeholders
- Handles extremely sensitive information with confidentiality and tact
- Demonstrates presence, self-confidence, sound judgment, and superior problem-solving ability
- Maintains current knowledge and expertise in all aspects of stewardship and communications methods, competition, trends and opportunities
- Willing and available to work evenings and weekends as necessary
The University Hospital Foundation has implemented a Vaccination (COVID-19) Policy. All employees, including new hires and volunteers, must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination. Employees who cannot be fully vaccinated on the basis of a protected legal ground (e.g., medical, religious) may request an exemption.
If your application is successful, you will be asked to provide proof of vaccination or valid proof of exemption.
Please mention you saw this posting on WEBSITE.
We respect and value diversity and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability or veteran status.
To apply for this posting, please email email@example.com, attach your cover letter, and resume into one PDF. We thank all candidates who apply; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate will be required to provide a Police Information Check.