Join Us And
Make a Difference
Director, Business Development & Strategic Partnerships
At the University Hospital Foundation, we want to help people live longer, and better – especially those who would benefit from a new form of treatment, or life-saving surgery.
As agents of hope, we boldly seek solutions to seemingly insurmountable challenges, matching the determination and purpose-driven intensity of the healthcare teams we support.
In the past ten years, generous donations from individuals and our corporate and strategic partners have contributed nearly $220 million dollars to advance world-leading patient care at the University of Alberta Hospital, Mazankowski Alberta Heart Institute and Kaye Edmonton Clinic, as well as ground-breaking research at the University of Alberta.
If you have a keen interest in being a part of the future of healthcare in Alberta, please consider applying today!
We are proud to have achieved Imagine Canada accreditation and High Performer status in both the “High Performer: Overall” and “High Performer: Teaching Hospital” categories from the Association for Healthcare Philanthropy. This recognition demonstrates our commitment to applying our purpose to everything we do.
In addition, we are proud to be one of Alberta’s Top 75 Employers in 2021 and 2022, which recognizes employers who lead their industry in offering exceptional places to work and forward-thinking HR practices.
As an outcome-focused organization, UHF offers a flexible work environment where employees have the opportunity to work remotely.
As an agent of hope your purpose is to continuously seek, inspire and lead bold solutions to seemingly insurmountable challenges and ignite new discoveries in health. You are a passionately curious leader who demonstrates a bias to action and drives a positive organizational culture.
As the Director, Business Development & Strategic Partnerships you are a strategic thinker who plays a critical role in the development and execution of strategic partnerships and relationships that contributes to the business, philanthropic and financial strategies of the University Hospital Foundation with the goal of improving the overall health of people in our community and beyond.
Reporting to the Chief Development Officer, you are a member of the Integration Leaders Team (ILT) and will serve as a key team member of the greater Development team. You are in a revenue generating role, responsible to build, strengthen and maintain new and existing partnerships and investment opportunities with industry, government, the corporate community, and new entrepreneurial sources in support of the Ignite 2030 strategy and the University Hospital Foundation’s unwavering commitment to deliver a positive impact on health innovation.
Identifying, developing, securing, and managing strategic partnership opportunities across both government and non-governmental sectors to build sustainable and meaningful partnerships that create shared value for all stakeholders.
- In collaboration with Foundation staff, lead implementation and evolution of the Foundation’s strategic partnerships plan with an openness to being responsive to changing conditions.
- Lead and inspire a team in the execution of strategic partnership goals and successful execution of projects and revenue targets in line with UHF’s vision.
- Deliver strategic and creative approaches to achieve the Foundation’s strategic partnership revenue goals.
- Exemplify a culture of coaching and performance excellence to continually develop team capacity, establishing core competencies, key performance indicators and personal development goals.
- Develop, implement, execute, and monitor strategic partnership’s annual department budget.
- Contribute to the hiring, management, mentoring, training, and evaluation of a high performing team.
- Develop and utilize team and individual performance metrics to ensure grow and development.
- Engage the philanthropic community by leading revenue-generating partner relationships that will meaningfully contribute to our thought leadership.
- Source and secure business development opportunities, to advance the UHF’s strategic priorities.
- Translate the interests of potential strategic partners into attractive opportunities for investment in the UHF resulting in improved health outcomes, opportunity for innovation and economic benefit for Albertans.
- Manage a portfolio of corporate and strategic partners moving them through the stages of qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Strategically seek investment from private industry and government and to form public private philanthropic partnerships that advances clinical research and innovation in the health ecosystem.
- Identify, engage, and support a broad cross-section of stakeholders, partners, and subject matter experts to develop aligned strategies, and create concrete action plans that will lead to positive outcomes in Foundation priority areas.
- Direct implementation of strategies and action plans that include the allocation of grant dollars and the development of partnership agreements.
- Provide support for policy development, media and marketing, partnership relations, grant development, and information requests.
- Develop, facilitate, and participate in partnership activities as well as local collaborations, networks, and planning efforts to further partnership impact.
- Supports the process of grant making and partnership investments, contract oversight, funded partner support, and partner engagement and collaboration to meet the goals of the organization.
- Maintain current knowledge of best practices used by similar organizations.
- Promote the innovation capacity within our hospital sites and beyond by sharing knowledge and research outcomes, influencing policy creation and implementation, pioneering partnerships practices and implementing novel philanthropy and revenue generation methodologies.
- Act as a liaison on opportunities and linkages between Industry and researchers/clinicians,
- Collaborate with stakeholders to maximize health outcomes of existing and future partnerships and collaborations,
- In collaboration with the Project Manager and Partnership Liaison, lead Partnership Steering Committees and Working Groups including chairing the meetings, leading the preparation of meeting packages, bring forward recommendations from the working groups, manage calls for letters of interest, proposals, notice of awards and reporting.
- Contribute to research competitions by ensuring alignment is maintained and the partner’s intent is honored
- Achieve and grow annual revenue goals while ensuring alignment with funding, reporting and recognition requirements.
- Maintain a solid understanding of government funding opportunities at all levels.
- Lead the development and implementation of government grant proposals.
Evaluation and Measurement
- Provide leadership and consultation in the measurement of outcomes and the review of funded partner information and performance.
- Provides direction and leadership for outcome identification, measurement, reporting, and analysis for each partnership agreement.
- Oversight of formal processes to measure and report on partnership goals and priority areas.
- University degree (or equivalent) in business, communications, community development or non-profit management is preferred. A combination of education and experience will be considered
- Minimum 5 – 7 years’ senior leadership experience in outcomes-based co-investment transactions and/or venture capital and/or business development and/or fundraising and/or partnership work and/or sales environment.
- Demonstrated project management experience in a complex environment.
- Understanding of the clinical research and innovation ecosystem within Alberta Health Services and/or the province will be considered an asset.
- Experience in a similar position in a mid to large organization and or complex health ecosystem.(i.e., a hospital, hospital system, academic medical center or higher education) would be considered an asset.
- A proven record of successful solicitation of partnership funding arrangements and/or major gifts and/or large revenue partnership agreements is essential.
- Experience building relationships with government stakeholders, an understanding of government funding agencies and demonstrated impact.
- Solid knowledge of ethical principles and best practices relating to partner agreements, fundraising, prospect research, donor relations and communications would be an asset
- Demonstrated capacity to think strategically, take initiative, and execute strategies as well as the ability to define objectives, evaluate progress, and manage budgets and complex projects in a deadline driven and high achieving environment.
- Proven time management, planning, organizational, and analytical skills.
- Previous experience and familiarity with a SRM database and Microsoft Office suite.
- Flexibility to attend events outside of the scope of regular business hours.
- Travel to off-site work obligations is a requirement.
- Strategic leader who demonstrates individual drive and an uncompromising desire to achieve exceptional results while exhibiting an outgoing, positive, group-win approach and a willingness to learn, teach and share.
- Goal and purpose orientated.
- High emotional intelligence and the ability to work effectively with a variety of stakeholders.
- A creative thinking approach that inspires others to embrace “what if” possibilities.
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical philanthropic initiatives.
- Promotes high-level cross-functional collaboration and establishes leadership credibility while influencing teams to achieve common goals.
- Possesses superior expertise in the use of available data, to interpret emerging trends, transfer knowledge to staff, peers and executives and implement, as appropriate, to enable continued achievement of the Foundation’s vision.
- Ability to approach challenging circumstances and relationships with confidence and initiative.
- Demonstrates leadership courage; appropriately challenges status quo and influences others.
- Operates with the highest standards of integrity and trust.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication and presentation skills, including an ability to distill complex issues into compelling communications as well as active listening skills, including an ability to connect donors with transformational philanthropic opportunities.
- Leverages strong business acumen/sensitivity, thinks holistically, and incorporates overall Foundation objectives in developing team strategy and decisions.
- Superior interpersonal and relational skills.
The University Hospital Foundation has implemented a Vaccination (COVID-19) Policy. All employees, including new hires and volunteers, must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination. Employees who cannot be fully vaccinated on the basis of a protected legal ground (e.g., medical, religious) may request an exemption.
If your application is successful, you will be asked to provide proof of vaccination or valid proof of exemption.
We respect and value diversity and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants.
To apply for this posting, please attach your cover letter, and resume into one PDF. We thank all candidates who apply; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate will be required to provide a Police Information Check.
Currently accepting applications.