Join Us And
Make a Difference
At the University Hospital Foundation, we want to help people live longer, and better – especially those who would benefit from a new form of treatment, or life-saving surgery.
As agents of hope, we boldly seek solutions to seemingly insurmountable challenges, matching the determination and purpose-driven intensity of the medical teams we support.
In the past ten years, generous donations from individuals and our corporate and strategic partners has contributed nearly $220 million dollars to advance world-leading patient care at the University of Alberta Hospital, Mazankowski Alberta Heart Institute and Kaye Edmonton Clinic, as well as ground-breaking research at the University of Alberta.
If you have a keen interest in being a part of the future of healthcare in Alberta, please consider applying today!
We are proud to have achieved Imagine Canada accreditation and High Performer status in both the “High Performer: Overall” and “High Performer: Teaching Hospital” categories from the Association for Healthcare Philanthropy.
This recognition demonstrates our commitment to applying our purpose to everything we do.
In addition, we are proud to be one of Alberta’s Top 70 Employers in 2021, which recognizes employers who lead their industry in offering exceptional places to work and forward-thinking HR practices.
The University Hospital Foundation is committed to advancing the health of Albertans. The purpose of the Communication Specialist is to contribute to developing compelling written communications for the Foundation. In addition, this role is responsible for the Foundations’ media and public relations activities, which includes building relationships with external media outlets, writing media releases, developing briefings and contributing to speaking notes for events, and earning attention for the Hospital and the University Hospital Foundation (UHF). The Communication Specialist is also responsible for developing and implementation of effective internal communications strategies that align with Ignite 2030 and our fundraising goals.
- Work with the Director, Marketing & Communications to develop internal and external communications plans to support our Strategic Priorities and Operational Plan.
- Manage the development of compelling written communications content, including:
- Gathering facts and information through research and interviews with staff, clinicians, patients, families and community members, for the development of materials
- Build the internal editorial calendar and ensure news and stories are appropriately communicated in a timely manner
- Working with the Lead Writer on communications materials that support the funding needs of the hospital with prospective donors, and tell stories of impact to donors (including Annual Report)
- Collaborate and support internal UHF stakeholders including Annual Giving, Strategic Partnerships, Philanthropy, Events and the President’s Office to develop communication materials to support our fundraising goals
- Support donor and media events, including taking the lead on:
- Writing media releases
- Preparing background materials, invitations, and coordinating speaking notes for events
- Proactive and reactive media relations
- Analyzing and tracking media coverage
- Lead the development and capture of Communications Metrics to:
- Increase the number of pitches to media and earned media coverage with mainstream media by sharing the compelling stories of the University of Alberta Hospital sites
- Continuously improve the effectiveness of our Marketing and Communications materials
- Lead Public Relations activities to generate earned media for our fundraising efforts and the impact of distributions to Hospital programs, by:
- Recommending techniques to improve the Foundation’s public image
- Building and maintaining relationships with AHS Foundation Relations 7 Communications teams, external media and influencers, and determining the best avenues to share stories and content with media and influencers
- Managing media inquiries and arranging interviews, statements etc.
- Development and implementation of effective internal communications strategies that align with our strategic plan and fundraising goals, including:
- Overseeing and drafting communication for UHF’s internal collaboration software, which may include weekly all staff posts, Tech Tuesday posts, messages from the President & CEO, social committee updates, etc.
- Advising internal stakeholders on effective internal communications strategies to support their priorities and projects
- Inspiring UHF team members by enriching our culture
- Work collaboratively with the marketing and communications team to convey the great stories to drive Marketing content, and share those stories with everyone at the Foundation
- Provide communications content and planning advice, and support to internal stakeholders on the roll-out of campaigns and initiatives
- Assess and report on the effectiveness of communication strategies, and make new recommendations
- Edit and review all content communication prior to publishing
Qualifications and Experience
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in communications, public relations, journalism, marketing or related field.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in a communications role
- Strong working knowledge of communications concepts, approaches and best-practices
- Exceptional Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint skills
- Membership with Canadian Public Relations Society (CPRS) or International Association of Business Communicators (IABC) is an asset
- Knowledge and experience using Adobe Creative Suite an asset
- Social media experience an asset
- Competitive compensation + Performance-based bonus
To apply for this posting, please follow the link below to upload your cover letter and resume into one PDF. You may also be asked to complete a Culture Index Survey, which will help us to get to know you better and assess your fit for this position. We thank all candidates who apply, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Closing date for this posting is October 8, 2021 at 5:00 pm.