Join Us And
Make a Difference
Accounting & Payroll Administrator
The University Hospital Foundation (UHF) believes in the power of generosity to save and change lives. The Foundation raises funds to ensure patients at the University of Alberta Hospital, the Mazankowski Alberta Heart Institute and the Kaye Edmonton Clinic have access to the latest advancements in medical technology and innovative patient care. As a result of very generous individuals and community support, we have raised more than $332 million in gross revenue over the last 10 years to support patient care, advanced technology and clinical research.
If you have a keen interest in being a part of the future of healthcare in Alberta, please consider applying today!
The University Hospital Foundation is proud to have achieved Imagine Canada accreditation and High Performer status in both the “High Performer: Overall” and “High Performer: Teaching Hospital” categories from the Association for Healthcare Philanthropy. This recognition demonstrates UHF’s commitment to applying our mission – to advance excellence – to our governance, daily operations and financial integrity. In addition UHF is proud to be named one of Alberta’s Top 70 Employers in 2021, which recognizes employers that lead their industry in offering exceptional places to work and forward-thinking HR practices.
The Accounting & Payroll Administrator is responsible for full cycle payroll processing, full cycle accounts payable, and bank / month and year-end reconciliation and budgeting processes.
- Process full cycle accounts payable as per the UHF’s accounting policy and processes and facilitate the signing authority process
- Coordinate with all employees to ensure an efficient and effective accounts payable process that is accurate and timely
- Orient new staff to the chart of accounts, invoice coding and accounts payable system and assist with educating all staff of any changes to the system
- Maintain all vendor files for electronic payment within the RBC Express system
- Reconcile and refill all petty cash boxes at least quarterly, or as needed
- Support the Full House Lottery accounts payable process in coordination with the Lottery Manager
Full Cycle Payroll Administration
- Administer the timely and accurate processing of bi-weekly payroll within Humi, and in compliance with statutory requirements and the UFH’s guidelines and processes
- Pull needed reports in Humi to inform payroll changes.
- Ensure accuracy of third-party remittances and balancing to related reporting
- Manage the year end payroll processes including balancing of reporting, accuracy of records, issuance of T-slips, etc.
- Maintain accurate and comprehensive payroll records to audit standards, while maintaining confidentiality
- Prepare month end accruals, analyze and reconcile the payroll ledger and general ledger on a regular basis
- Prepare correspondence and reports as needed
- Provide communication on payroll related changes and respond to employee inquiries
- Support the People team with various tasks as needed
Reconciliations and Month End
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations for all bank accounts
- Reconcile all Corporate Visa card expenses monthly into Financial Edge
- Prepare expense account reconciliations for reporting needs
- Prepare and enter various month-end journal entries, including:
- Banking fees and charges,
- Investments and short-term deposits,
- Prepaid expenses and accrued liabilities
- US dollar conversion
- Others as needed
- Assist the Senior Accountant with month-end activities and reporting and provide coverage for absences on an as needed basis with support and training provided internally.
- Assist with the year-end forecasting & budgeting of wage and benefit expenses
- Key role in cash management including cash forecasting, liaising with the bank and vendors to support payment inquiries.
- Post deposit batches & Raiser’s Edge donation batches and monthly adjustments to Financial Edge.
- Support the Full House Lottery month-end process with the Lottery Manager
- Maintain supply and control over all accounting supplies such as deposit books and cheque stacks
- Ensure strong records management, including filing all accounting related documents
- Prepare all accounting files for subsequent year
- Track key timelines and deadlines for the finance team.
- Coordination of timely cheque signing coordination in compliance with signing authorizations.
- Other related duties commensurate with this position as needed
- Align with the Foundation’s values, and guide decisions and actions accordingly
- Always reflect the Foundation’s core and leadership competencies in all areas of business
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Behaviours
- Advanced Excel knowledge
- Knowledge of federal and provincial employment standards and payroll-regulations
- Full understanding of processing accounts payables and completing bank reconciliations
- Fluent in Financial Edge, Raiser’s Edge and Royal Bank Express an asset
- Working knowledge of HRIS systems and Quickbooks an asset
- Works within a high degree of confidentiality
- Excellent analytical problem solver
- Excellent communication skills and a customer service focus
- Comfortable learning and working with new technologies to drive success and efficiencies
- Strong organizational skills to achieve process efficiencies
- Natural affinity for numbers, accuracy, and detail
Experience & Education
- PCP Certification, or working towards certification, with the Canadian Payroll Association
- Accounting certificate/or diploma
- Minimum three (3) years’ work experience with full cycle payroll with related exposure to benefits and human resources
- Multi-year experience processing accounts payables and completing bank reconciliations
- Experience with Financial Edge, QuickBooks, Royal Bank Express and an HRIS asset
- Full Time, Permanent
- Competitive compensation + Performance-based bonus
- Benefits and Pension
To apply for this posting, please follow the link below to upload your cover letter and resume into one document. You will also be asked to complete a Culture Index Survey, which will help us to get to know you better and assess your fit for this position. We thank all candidates who apply, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted
Closing date for this posting is March 5, 2021 at 5:00pm.