Position Type: Full time, permanent, hybrid work environment
At the University Hospital Foundation, we want to help people live longer, and better – especially those who would benefit from a new form of treatment, or life-saving surgery.
As agents of hope, we boldly seek solutions to seemingly insurmountable challenges, matching the determination and purpose-driven intensity of the healthcare teams we support.
In the past ten years, generous donations from individuals and our corporate and strategic partners have contributed nearly $220 million dollars to advance world-leading patient care at the University of Alberta Hospital, Mazankowski
Alberta Heart Institute and Kaye Edmonton Clinic, as well as ground-breaking research at the University of Alberta.
If you have a keen interest in being a part of the future of healthcare in Alberta, please consider applying today!
We are proud to have achieved Imagine Canada accreditation and High Performer status in both the “High Performer: Overall” and “High Performer: Teaching Hospital” categories from the Association for Healthcare Philanthropy. This recognition demonstrates our commitment to applying our purpose to everything we do.
In addition, we are proud to be one of Alberta’s Top 75 Employers in 2021 and 2022, which recognizes employers who lead their industry in offering exceptional places to work and forward-thinking HR practices.
As an outcome-focused organization, UHF offers a flexible work environment where employees have the opportunity to work remotely. To learn more about us, visit our website at www.GiveToUHF.ca.
Reporting to the Director, Philanthropy, the Philanthropy Officer is a generalist position that will establish and develop long term philanthropic relationships with prospects, donors and sponsors through focusing on the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of a portfolio of major gift and planned giving prospects with the capacity and interest in providing financial support to the University of Alberta Hospital site. The Officer will have a high-level of comfort and expertise in soliciting individual and corporate donations in face-to-face meetings and by telephone and correspondence.
The Philanthropy Officer will coordinate strategic moves to help the University Hospital Foundation reach its overall financial goals. The Officer will be a fundraising generalist who is capable of working with individuals and businesses to secure investments over $10,000 and he/she will work independently and collaboratively with colleagues throughout the University of Alberta Hospital, the Mazankowski Alberta Heart Institute and the Kaye Edmonton Clinic.
- Manages a portfolio of approximately 175 prospects and donors
- Develops a donor solicitation strategy for each major and planned giving donor/prospect
- Ensures strategies are developed to properly steward and recognize donors in portfolio
- Actively participate in securing major and planned gifts
- Collaborate with senior staff, volunteers and demonstrate ability to work at all levels within a research-intensive hospital environment
- Demonstrate the ability to exercise discretion and good judgment in representing the Foundation; and
- Display an extraordinary commitment to confidentiality and professionalism
- Stay abreast of local, provincial and national trends and recent news/announcements that have potential impact on contributed revenue.
Revenue Generation and Planning:
- Develop strategies to solicit and secure future major and planned gifts and sponsorships, including prospect research, customized proposal writing, presentations and direct involvement in solicitations
- Interpret the interests of potential donors or stakeholders and translate them into attractive opportunities for investment in the UHF;
- Participate in the development of stewardship plans for individual and corporate donors and sponsors
- Communicate the Foundation’s objectives in a persuasive and stimulating manner with all stakeholders through a strong understanding of the immediate priority funding needs
- Contribute to the development of the Foundation’s annual budget, including establishment of financial targets and development of annual revenue
- Ensure effective renewal and stewardship strategies are in place for major and planned donors. Ensure personal stewardship plans are created and carried out for major and planned donors as part of relationship management
- Support the continued execution of any active capital campaigns while meeting approved revenue goals
- Manage a portfolio of approximately 100 prospects with the capacity to make a gift of $10,000 and develop comprehensive cultivation and solicitation plans and track donor activity for prospects
- Prepare briefing packages, proposals, implement stewardship protocols and coordinate necessary follow-up for solicitation calls.
- University degree (or equivalent) in business, communications, community development or non-profit management is preferred. A combination of education and experience will be considered
- Certified Fund-Raising Executive (CFRE) designation is an asset or willingness to work toward certification.
- Previous experience in healthcare is considered an asset
- Experience working with volunteers in a fund development setting
- Minimum three years’ successful experience in fund development including donor management, cultivation, strategy development and personal solicitations.
- Track record of effectively identifying, researching and prioritizing new major donor prospects
- Proven skill in creating and implementing fundraising plans, including strategies for immediate and long-term growth
- Ability to multi-task and manage time effectively
- Strong public speaking skills desired
- Demonstrated working knowledge of office computer systems (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, electronic mail);
- Demonstrated track record of major or planned gifts fundraising, including independently securing five figure gifts
- Knowledge of the University of Alberta Hospital considered an asset
- Knowledgeable in best practices and performance metrics related to fundraising and prospect research
- Demonstrates philanthropic spirit
- Exceptional application of Microsoft Office and experience with Raiser’s Edge or similar donor database management system is essential
- A high degree of comfort in identifying, contacting and developing new major gift prospects as well as superior interpersonal skills in stewarding existing donors;
- An outgoing, positive, group-win approach with a willingness to learn, teach and share – bringing new skills and developing one’s own skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple competing priorities to thrive in a fast-paced environment; and
- Detail oriented and able to work with little supervision and in cooperation with the Philanthropy team and volunteers
- Exceptional interpersonal and influencing skills, tact, and diplomacy with the ability to develop and maintain cooperative and successful working relationships with volunteers, staff and all donors; ability to serve as a team player and leader.
- Must follow The Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) Code of Ethical Standards and understand The Donor Bill of Rights
The University Hospital Foundation has implemented a Vaccination (COVID-19) Policy. All employees, including new hires and volunteers, must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination. Employees who cannot be fully vaccinated on the basis of a protected legal ground (e.g., medical, religious) may request an exemption.
If your application is successful, you will be asked to provide proof of vaccination or valid proof of exemption.
We respect and value diversity and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to an inclusive environment for all employees and applicants and will make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability or veteran status.
To apply for this posting, please attach your cover letter and resume into one PDF. We thank all candidates who apply; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The successful candidate will be required to provide a Police Information Check.